Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Madison School Board Candidate memories

The Isthmus has a running series asking the Madison School Board candidates a lot of questions and putting their answers in the paper (and online) every week leading up to the election. You can find it here.

One of the questions was:
As a student, what was your worst experience in school? As an adult, what lessons do you draw from it?
One of the candidates, Lucy Mathiak, had this for a response:
I'm drawing a blank. Perhaps the lesson is that no matter how bad something seems, "this, too, shall pass."
Seriously? It wasn't a question she was asked on the spot and had to immediately come up with something. She can't think of anything bad that happened to her in school? I'd have a hard time picking just one. Of course, I was taught by mean, old nuns until fifth grade.

Let's see, there was the time that one of the nuns told me my parents were going to hell because they were getting a divorce. Keep in mind, I was seven. Even if you did believe that garbage, would you tell that to a seven year old? I cried to God just about every night for years begging him to let my parents go to heaven.

There was also the day I tripped and fell in the snow bank on the way to school and everything in my school bag fell out into the snow and got ruined, including my flashcard that were written in marker by the nuns. That was bad enough but when I got to school the nun yelled at me to tell my mother to get a bigger school bag so I pretty much spent the whole day sobbing.

And that was just first grade.

What did I draw from these events? That many nuns are mean, old ladies that have no business working with little kids.

Care to share your least favorite nun story?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home