Sunday, January 22, 2006

Where there's smoke

This week the city of Madison fined three bars for violating the smoking ban. I've been wondering how long it would be before we saw this story and the answer was six months.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal, the city has received 40 complaints about 17 different places. The Locker Room will have to pay $1,041; Tail Gators will pay $247.25; and Hammer Time will pay $950.

I have to admit I am torn on this ban. On the one hand, I love being able to go to smoke free bars. I hate coming home with a jacket that smells like I rolled in an ashtray. I also hated breathing in all that smoke. On the other hand, I go to the bars about once a month these days and that is not enough to keep some of the unique bars on the East Side of Madison that I love open. I really fear that we will lose some great establishments to the ban.

Supporters say give it year, but I waitressed in college and I didn't have a year to pay my rent. Folks point to the NYC ban and say it all worked out a year into the ban. I'm not sure that is a good comparison since people that live in Madison can easily go to Monona or Fitchburg without too much of a drive. And then there's that - the driving. I hope we don't see an increase in drinking and driving from this either.

Here is the thing I am not torn about though - the fines for further violations at the bars that have been cited already seem outrageously high. The Locker Room fine would go up to $5,416!

I hope I'm wrong and all the great small bars of Madison make it through. They are one of the things that gives the East Side of Madison so much character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home