Wednesday, January 25, 2006

What's the real intent here?

Rep. Scott Gunderson (R-Waterford) says that the reason we have to get third-graders loaded weapons is because we need to get them involved in hunting early. He says:
"It's important to get kids involved in hunting at a younger age. If they are not engaged in hunting by 12 or 13, they probably won't be, said Gunderson, R-Waterford.
Is there a law out there now that prevents hunters from taking their kids with them when they go hunting? Can't they participate in hunting by watching and learning and spending time with older, experienced hunters? Let's here from you folks. I'll admit I'm wrong on this if you tell me I am. Does Wisconsin law currently prevent eight-year-olds to go along on the hunt with a parent without a gun?

Why is the actual killing of the deer necessary? If a child doesn't even like tagging along on the hunt, chances are they aren't going to like hunting period. And if seeing and smelling the blood of a deer they killed themselves is the only way to get an eight-year-old interested, perhaps we don't want those particular kids having guns at all.

There is also a lot of talk that we should let the parents decide if their child is old enough to handle hunting, but this is no ordinary parental decision. It affects the safety of all the other hunters out there in the woods on the same day that choose not to hunt with third-graders.

1 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with you on this point. Long before I went through Hunter's Safety and was old enough to hunt legally, I went along with my mom, my dad, and my uncles - at different times of course. I sat along-side them and learned how to keep quiet, how to walk through the woods without making a sound. I learned how to enjoy those quiet moments and I also learned to respect the animals that are being hunted. It wasn't about killing for the point of killing something. I never enjoyed watching an animal die. We did it for the meat to get us through the winters. We gave meat to those who could use it. Those are treasured memories. It instilled in me a love for wildlife, for nature and for hunting. I didn't "need" to kill anything at that age in order to develop an interest in it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home